The word in political circles is that the Legislature’s Joint Finance Committee may be considering starting from the bottom-up when it comes to 2017-19 state budget deliberations, rather than working off the governor’s proposed budget.
WEAC is following developments carefully, as the governor’s budget as proposed includes proposed per-pupil funding increases and bumps in aid for rural schools, mental health services in schools, and more. We’ll alert you of any decisions.
If the Joint Finance Committee decides not to work off the governor’s proposal, pro-public education advocates will have a tough time knowing what legislators might be considering when we testify at public hearings on the budget beginning next week. Contact your legislators to urge them to use the governor’s budget as a starting point for budget discussions.
Take Action Now:
Ahead in the Legislature:
- Agency briefings continue.
- March 29
- Department of Justice Department of Veteran Affairs
- Department of Health Services
- Department of Children and Families
- Department of Revenue (including Shared Revenue and Property Tax Relief and Lottery)
- Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation • Department of Transportation
- March 30
- Public Service Commission
- Department of Natural Resources
- Wisconsin Technical College System
- University of Wisconsin System
- Department of Public Instruction
- Historical Society
- Department of Workforce Development
- Labor and Industry Review Commission
- Joint Finance Committee will hold executive session on:
- SB-049 Broadband Expansion (Marklein, Howard) The information technology block grant program, the broadband expansion grant program, waiving certain fees and appraisals, and making appropriations.
- AB-025 Child Labor Permits (Loudenbeck, Amy) Child labor permits and modifying references to child labor in the statutes.
- March 29
April 4 (Election Day)
- The Senate will be in session. Bills they are scheduled to take action on include:
- SB49 – broadband
- SB62 – school board salaries
- Joint Finance Committee budget hearings and Democratic budget hearings.
- Joint Finance Committee executive sessions.
Don’t see something in the wrap-up? Looking for more information? Contact Christina Brey.