Kenosha teachers and their supporters will be back at the School Board meeting this month, again asking board members to increase prep time so that teachers can fully meet the needs of their students. In March, dozens of teachers and supporters packed the board meeting to shine a light on the issue, with several teachers taking to the podium to explain the importance of prep time in helping teachers provide quality education for all students (see video below).
In addition, they have launched the #Plan2Learn letter writing campaign asking school board members to act on the Planning and Preparation policy at the April 24 School Board meeting.
“More planning time for educators affects student learning at all levels, and ensures that each student receives individualized lessons that provide them with a high quality academic experience,” the Kenosha Education Association said. “The sooner discussions start happening, the sooner our students can start receiving the education they deserve.”
The KEA’s Elementary Planning Time Committee members have worked with their fellow educators and community members to organize around this issue. In addition to mobilizing teachers and supporters at School Board meeting, their efforts include:
- Conducting a survey that found that 75% of respondents did not feel that they had enough independently led planning time to meet the needs of their students.
- Discovering the results of a survey that the Kenosha Unified School District distributed over a year ago in which 65% of respondents listed independently led teacher prep time as their #1 priority.
- Drafting a thoughtful, solutions based resolution to the School Board that would bring some much needed change on this issue.
- Gathering hundreds of signatures from fellow educators, parents, and community members in support of the resolution to ensure that teachers have the time they need to plan and prepare for the individual needs of their students.
- Composing a draft School Board policy based on the resolution for School Board members to consider and adopt prior to the end of the 2016-2017 school year the text of this proposed policy is below.
Below is a video from the March School Board meeting:
Preparation and planning time is an important part of providing a high quality education for our students. You can help educators get the planning time they need by watching and sharing the video…