CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
2017-2018 Great World Texts in Wisconsin Program:
Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring
Wisconsin high school teachers from all disciplines are invited to apply to participate.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 12, 2017
PLEASE SUBMIT ONLY ONE APPLICATION PER SCHOOL
PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS WILL RECEIVE:
- The opportunity to bring a challenging work of world literature to life in your classrooms and to work across disciplinary boundaries with educators at your school.
- A classroom set of texts for your school’s permanent collection.
- A world-class curriculum guide, “Teaching Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring in Wisconsin,” prepared by experts from UW-Madison with CCSS and individual teaching needs in mind. The guide contains contextual and lecture materials, suggested readings, close reading and discussion activities, handouts, and suggestions for student projects. Our teaching guide is designed to make the text accessible for a range of learners and grade levels, and is customizable to meet the needs of your classroom and students.
- Year-round support and professional development colloquia.
- The opportunity to bring your students to UW-Madison for a full-day conference (Monday, April 9, 2018) where they will present their work on the text, engage in critical interpretive inquiry with others, and get a fresh take on the text from a leading expert.
- A stipend that funds your school’s participation in the program. These funds can be used to offset the costs of substitute teachers, travel to Madison, and other program-related expenses.