Stop the Expansion of Vouchers and Private Charter Schools!
The Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association put together this simple yet powerful animated video illustrating the impact of the private voucher school system on Milwaukee Public Schools and the children who attend MPS.
The voucher program in Wisconsin has hurt public education throughout the state, especially in Milwaukee. The voucher system turns our children into instruments of profit. Voucher schools promised a better education, but they have failed to deliver. Instead, the voucher system has deliberately drained our public schools of the resources needed to serve all children.
Click below to open flier:
WEAC Research Briefs:
- Voucher Expansion Not Based on Evidence
- What are Voucher Schools?
- What are Charter Schools?
- What are Public Schools?
Recent articles about private school vouchers and charters:
- The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday approved a multi-trillion dollar tax plan that funds tax breaks for the wealthiest and corporations on the backs of students and working families. The bill, championed by Republican leaders, eliminates a popular tax deduction that allows educators to deduct up to $250 of the money they spend on ...
- An organization called School Funding Reform For Wisconsin has compiled a series of informative charts that summarize the financial impact of taxpayer-funded private school voucher programs on public school districts throughout the state. The charts are grouped by Senate district. Read More...
- Enrollment in Wisconsin private school voucher programs increased nearly 8 percent this year and cost state taxpayers $270 million, an increase of $25.5 million over last year, according to figures released Monday by the Department of Public Instruction. Across the three programs – Milwaukee, Racine and statewide – a total of 36,249 students received a ...
- A new analysis strikes down a Walton Family Foundation report that supports expanded public funding of private charter schools. The National Education Policy Center says the Walton study is flawed and based on biased data. In fact, privately run charter schools in most cases fall behind public schools when it comes to student performance despite ...
Expansion of unproven, unaccountable private school vouchers harms public schools and raises taxes, analysis findsSchool voucher programs – including the Wisconsin Parental Choice Program (WPCP) – divert much-needed funding away from public schools when they are expanded, according to a new policy memo by the National Education Policy Center (NEPC) with funding from the Great Lakes Center for Education Research and Practice. In response to the report, WEAC President ...
After clicking “Subscribe,” an email will be sent to your email address asking you to confirm your subscription. If you have any trouble signing up on this page, please click here.
You will receive an email once a day at 5:00 p.m. but only on days when new content about vouchers is added to the weac.org News Stream.