Stop the Expansion of Vouchers and Private Charter Schools!
The Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association put together this simple yet powerful animated video illustrating the impact of the private voucher school system on Milwaukee Public Schools and the children who attend MPS.
The voucher program in Wisconsin has hurt public education throughout the state, especially in Milwaukee. The voucher system turns our children into instruments of profit. Voucher schools promised a better education, but they have failed to deliver. Instead, the voucher system has deliberately drained our public schools of the resources needed to serve all children.
Click below to open flier:
WEAC Research Briefs:
- Voucher Expansion Not Based on Evidence
- What are Voucher Schools?
- What are Charter Schools?
- What are Public Schools?
Recent articles about private school vouchers and charters:
- A new analysis strikes down a Walton Family Foundation report that supports expanded public funding of private charter schools. The National Education Policy Center says the Walton study is flawed and based on biased data. In fact, privately run charter schools in most cases fall behind public schools when it comes to student performance despite ...
Expansion of unproven, unaccountable private school vouchers harms public schools and raises taxes, analysis findsSchool voucher programs – including the Wisconsin Parental Choice Program (WPCP) – divert much-needed funding away from public schools when they are expanded, according to a new policy memo by the National Education Policy Center (NEPC) with funding from the Great Lakes Center for Education Research and Practice. In response to the report, WEAC President ...
- The governor Thursday signed the state budget into law, after using his veto power on several provisions. The budget is a mixed bag for public schools. It represents a 6 percent increase in state funding for K-12 schools – the first public school increase in six years. But it continues the state’s practice of siphoning funds from public ...
- With the governor likely to act soon on a state budget that includes a funding increase at long last for public schools, WEAC members are pleased elected officials have responded to the public’s call to increase funding for public schools. And while educators are welcoming the positive aspects of the budget document, they are also ...
- The State Assembly passed the budget Wednesday, which now goes to the Senate on Friday. Read more and take this opportunity to contact your senators about the education issues that are important to you on WEAC’s Take Action Page. Read More...
After clicking “Subscribe,” an email will be sent to your email address asking you to confirm your subscription. If you have any trouble signing up on this page, please click here.
You will receive an email once a day at 5:00 p.m. but only on days when new content about vouchers is added to the weac.org News Stream.