Stop the Expansion of Vouchers and Private Charter Schools!
The Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association put together this simple yet powerful animated video illustrating the impact of the private voucher school system on Milwaukee Public Schools and the children who attend MPS.
The voucher program in Wisconsin has hurt public education throughout the state, especially in Milwaukee. The voucher system turns our children into instruments of profit. Voucher schools promised a better education, but they have failed to deliver. Instead, the voucher system has deliberately drained our public schools of the resources needed to serve all children.
Click below to open flier:
WEAC Research Briefs:
- Voucher Expansion Not Based on Evidence
- What are Voucher Schools?
- What are Charter Schools?
- What are Public Schools?
Recent articles about private school vouchers and charters:
- Congress, federal agencies and state legislatures should adopt laws and regulations that make it clear that private schools and charter schools receiving public tax dollars must “operate in non-discriminatory ways” and cannot exclude some populations from employment and enrollment, according recommendations of a new policy brief. The brief – “How School Privatization Opens the Door for ...
- Enrollment in Wisconsin’s three taxpayer-funded private school voucher programs rose 8.7 percent this year, while the cost soared 12.3 percent to $302 million, according to a report released Tuesday by the Department of Public Instruction. Across the three programs (Milwaukee, Racine and statewide), 39,381 students received a voucher to attend one of the 279 participating ...
- Democrats on the Legislature’s Joint Finance Committee released a memo from the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau revealing that private voucher schools in Wisconsin have received $269.6 million in state funding so far in the 2017-19 biennium, while public schools have seen a $90.6 million reduction in state aid. Read More...
- With the latest round of state campaign finance reports in, backers of the private school voucher program have larded the campaign accounts of politicians willing to do their bidding with $7.5 million in campaign contributions since 2008. Leading the pack, and hauling in more than 1 of every 4 dollars donated, is Governor Scott Walker ...
Special needs voucher program costs taxpayers $5.6 million, reduces aid to public schools, report saysThe Wisconsin program that allows children with special needs to attend private schools at taxpayer expense cost the state $5.6 million in “scholarships” in its first two years, and diverted $4.1 million in needed state aid away from 25 local public school districts, according to a new audit from the Legislative Audit Bureau. Milwaukee Public Schools ...
After clicking “Subscribe,” an email will be sent to your email address asking you to confirm your subscription. If you have any trouble signing up on this page, please click here.
You will receive an email once a day at 5:00 p.m. but only on days when new content about vouchers is added to the weac.org News Stream.