Rep. Mike Rohrkaste of Neenah, a Republican member of the Joint Finance Committee representing Assembly District 55, will not seek reelection in 2020, he announced this week. He is leaving to lead a non-profit that helps Alzheimer’s and dementia patients. Rohrkaste will fill out his current term.
Bills We’re Watching:
- (SB-327). This bill, which impacts the school district revenue limit adjustment for declining enrollment districts and the prior year base revenue hold harmless adjustment, was referred to Senate Committee on Education.
Circulating for Co-Sponsorship:
- A couple bills are circulating that would require public schools to include curriculum so children are taught to protect themselves and give them the resources to speak out if they encounter teen dating violence and sexual abuse.
- This bill would require these products in schools and state and local building.
- A series of bills would create a Blue Ribbon Commission in the University of Wisconsin System, provide additional funding to the UW System, provide for tuition freezes, student grants, tuition remission and state aid for the technical college system.
In the News
- State officials say Wisconsin residents’ student loan debt has topped $24 billion
- Evers knocks JFC Republicans for not taking up other agency requests
- Priorities USA launches campaign focused on holding President Trump accountable
- Businesses favored GOP with cash in first half of 2019
- Republican lawmaker looks to tie UW in-state tuition to CPI if freeze ends, tighten seg fees