|SUBMIT A NOMINATION|
Friend of Education Award
The Friend of Education Award is to be presented to an individual or group who has made a significant contribution to education and/or the profession in Wisconsin. The media and active WEAC/Region members are not eligible to receive this award. Forms must be received in the WEAC office no later than February 1.
Friend of Education Award Guidelines
- Purpose. To recognize individuals or organizations who have made significant contributions to the cause of public education in the State of Wisconsin.
- Governmental (state officials, legislators, mayors, school officials, etc.)
- Private citizens.
- The award will be given to a group or individual who has made a significant contribution to education and/or the profession in Wisconsin.
- The activity or action being recognized must be completed or ongoing, as opposed to being promised.
- The impact of the activity, actions or contribution should be viewed as long term, enhancing, complementary to the goals of WEAC, and easily recognizable.
- The individual or organization recognized should not be a member, contributor or advocate for other causes which are recognized as being in conflict with the long term policies of the teachers of Wisconsin (WEAC policy, resolutions, platform, etc.) Such organizations to include, but not be limited to: KKK, Right to Work Committee, etc.
- To be received on forms provided by the subcommittee.
- Submitted by February 1
- By category.
- By individuals/affiliates.
- Endorsements by local/Region unit.
- Decision of the Committee
- The Committee shall consider the nominations received which have met timelines and submission requirement.
- The Committee shall not be required to recommend an award in any category irrespective of the number of nominations.
- The Committee shall make its decision on the basis of the criteria.
- The recommendation of the Committee shall be advisory, only, and shall be submitted to the Board of Directors.
- The WEAC Board of Directors may accept or reject the recommendation of the Committee but may not change it or substitute another entry.
- The nominations submitted and votes thereon shall be the property of the subcommittee.
- The subcommittee shall seek nominations for the Friend of Education Award from members of the Board of Directors, Regions and local affiliates through the office of the Region or local president.
- Nominations must be received in the WEAC office no later than February 1. In the event February 1 is not a working day, the next working day shall become the deadline.
- The subcommittee shall not release any information regarding its recommendations prior to presenting its recommendations at the Board of Directors meeting.
- The subcommittee shall present its recommendation to the Board of Directors no later than the February meeting.
- A majority vote of the Board of Directors members present and voting constitutes an affirmation of the subcommittee’s recommendation.
- The media and active UEP members are excluded from consideration.
Past Friend of Education Award winners:
2017 Maggie Beeber
2016 Wisconsin Public Education Network
2014 WEA Member Benefits
2011 Seneca Educational Foundation, Inc.
2010 Robert (Bob) Gustafson
2009 Institute for Wisconsin’s Future/Wisconsin Alliance for Excellent Schools
2008 Ellen Hossman
2007 Whitehall Administrative Team
2006 Transition year
2005 John and Christine Virtue of Darlington
2004 Paul Nelson of Richland Center
2003 Ret. WI Supreme Court Justice William Bablitch
2002 Alan Purvis, Iris Dahms
2001 Dr. James Shaw
2000 Dr. Alex Molnar
1999 Attorney Richard Perry
1998 State Senator Richard Grobschmidt
1997 Julie Stafford, Dir of WI Acad Staff Dev
1996 Attorney Robert Kelly, Kathy Haller (Wis PTA)
1995 John Benson & DPI, Dr. Lee Hansen
1994 James G. Birnbaum
1993 Wisconsin PTA (Kathy Haller), U.S. Senator Herb Kohl
1992 Harland Kirschner
1991 Senator Calvin J. Potter
1990 Cedarburg Junior Woman’s, Inc.
1989 Senator Robert Jauch
1988 Senator Joseph Andrea
1987 Buycrus-Erie Company, So. Milwaukee
1986 State Superintendent Bert Grover
1985 Governor Anthony Earl
1984 Senator John J. Mauer
1983 Senator Timothy Cullen
1982 The Arts Council of South Wood County Inc.
1981 Art Polk of Montello
1980 Senator Gary Goyke
1979 Congressman Alvin Baldus
1978 Activist William O. Hart