Job Title: UniServ Director, WEAC Region 7
Location: Brookfield, WI
Classification: Professional Staff, Category III
WEAC Region 7 is seeking applicants for the position of full-time UniServ Director. Minorities and females are encouraged to apply.
Background on the UniServ Unit
WEAC Region 7 represents more than 3,900 public school employees in southeast Wisconsin, excluding the cities of Kenosha, Racine and Milwaukee. The UniServ headquarters building is located in Brookfield, Wisconsin.
WEAC Region 7 is made up of 100+ locals (teacher and ESP), and currently employs three UniServ Professional Staff and one Associate Staff.
Assist member locals in matters of:
- Membership recruitment, promotion and development
- Contribute significantly to the development of the strategic campaign planning/message, incorporate campaign message into 1:1 communication; draft and design basic leaflets, newsletters, and other communication methods
- Conduct 1:1 organizing through home and work site visits to accurately assess and recruit supporters, leaders, and potential members
- Develop and execute organizing plans with clear goals, strategies and benchmarks
- Assist member locals in identifying and executing issue campaigns
- Bargaining unit recertification
- Develop Professional rights and responsibilities committees in member locals
- Provide counsel, advice, and representation to individuals in member locals
- Represent individuals in job-related termination or nonrenewal conferences and unemployment compensation hearings
- Assist members on plans of improvement.
- Identify and develop new member leaders and activists
- Planning and developing regional and local programs
- Public relations
- Political and legislative matters
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President and/or WEAC Region 7 Board, consistent with the job description and professional expectations
- Experience with the following types of employers is highly significant: labor unions, progressive issue advocacy organizations, community organizations, educational institutions, political campaigns and staff of elected officials
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including exhibiting and promoting open, honest, and direct communications
- Ability to practice and encourage teamwork, collaboration, and consensus decision-making
- Experience as an association leader in education (local, UniServ, state or national) or other public or private sector unions is preferred but not required
- Experience in grievance processing/rights arbitration including case presentation (preferred)
- Knowledge of school law, school finance, and educational issues (preferred)
- Computer literacy and Microsoft Office skills
- Ability to promote and adhere to the policies adopted by the WEAC Region 7 Board and Representative Assembly
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of individual member(s) concerns in a professional and confidential manner
- Willingness and ability to commit the time and energy necessary to meet the extensive demands of the job, including working long, irregular hours on evenings and occasional weekends
- BA required (MA preferred)
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel as necessary
Salary and Fringe Benefits: Competitive salary as negotiated between United Employers Association and the United Staff Union Professional Staff (Category 3). Fringes include, but are not limited to, health, dental, life, vision and long-term disability insurance; retirement package; vacation/sick/personal leave; training funds.
Deadline for Applications: A person interested in applying for this position should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of two references, no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, October 1, 2021.
Beginning Date & Location of Employment: As soon as possible; WEAC Region 7 office, Brookfield, WI.
Submit Applications To:
WEAC Region 7
ATTN: Rachel Swick
13805 West Burleigh Road Suite 200
Brookfield, WI 53005
(Reference: WEAC Region 7 UniServ Director)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER