State Budget-Writing Committee Named
All 16 members of Wisconsin’s budget-writing Joint Finance Committee are set.
• Co-Chair Senator Howard Marklein (R-Spring Green)
• Co-Chair Representative Mark Born (R-Beaver Dam)
• Vice-chair Duey Stroebel (R-Saukville)
• Vice-chair Representative Amy Loudenbeck (R-Clinton)
• Senator Kathy Bernier (R-Lake Hallie)
• Senator-Elect Joan Ballweg (R-Markesan)
• Senator-Elect Mary Felzkowski (R-Irma)
• Senator Dale Kooyenga (R-Brookfield)
• Senator Jon Erpbenbach (D-Town of West Point)
• Senator La Tonya Johnson (D-Milwaukee)
• Representative Terry Katsma (R-Oostburg)
• Representative Shannon Zimmerman (R-River Falls)
• Representative Tony Kurtz (R-Wonewoc)
• Representative Jessie Rodriguez (R-Oak Creek)
• Representative Evan Goyke (D-Milwaukee)
• Representative Greta Neubauer (D-Racine)
State proposal from Republican leaders would leave public schools in the lurch
Federal emergency relief is on the way, but the Wisconsin legislative majority is proposing what it calls a COVID package that would leave public schools without the critical resources to meet student and family needs. In the mix of in-person and virtual education, public schools are facing additional costs for staff, computers, broadband and safety equipment and supplies. But instead of helping, Republican leaders are suggesting new state laws to force teachers to be physically in school – rather than allowing local leaders to decide based on safety – and imposing fines against districts who use virtual instruction. Additionally, proposals to drastically expand tax-funded private school vouchers are also part of the Republican plan.
Sign Our Letter to Assembly Majority Leader Vos. Tell Him to Back Safe Schools
WEAC continues to urge state elected officials to take action to keep students, educators and communities safe by imposing statewide gating criteria for schools to use in determining whether to hold in-person or virtual classes, along with other measures.
While Governor Tony Evers has presented a proposal for COVID relief, including to provide waivers for state assessments and report cards for the 2020-21 school year, Assembly Majority Leader Robin Vos is proposing laws forcing teachers to be physically in schools and to fine districts using virtual instruction.
Sign Our Letter
State Budget Listening Session on Education Held
Work on the 2021-23 state budget is set to ramp up in the Legislature soon and more than 700 Wisconsinites proved they are ready to advocate for education funding by taking part in a governor’s listening session. Read more.
State Budget Action Center
Proposed DPI Budget
Submit a written comment
Special Election Dates Set for Senate District 13, Assembly District 89
Gov. Evers has called special elections for Senate District 13 and Assembly District 89.
Primary: February 16
General: April 6
Candidates are already circulating their nomination papers, which are due in early January.