Stop the Expansion of Vouchers and Private Charter Schools!
The Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association put together this simple yet powerful animated video illustrating the impact of the private voucher school system on Milwaukee Public Schools and the children who attend MPS.
The voucher program in Wisconsin has hurt public education throughout the state, especially in Milwaukee. The voucher system turns our children into instruments of profit. Voucher schools promised a better education, but they have failed to deliver. Instead, the voucher system has deliberately drained our public schools of the resources needed to serve all children.
Click below to open flier:
WEAC Research Briefs:
- Voucher Expansion Not Based on Evidence
- What are Voucher Schools?
- What are Charter Schools?
- What are Public Schools?
Recent articles about private school vouchers and charters:
- “No-excuses” charter schools – which promote strict disciplinary policies, longer school days, and intensive academic tutoring at the expense of the arts and physical education – could do more harm than good, according to a new review by the Great Lakes Center for Education Research and Practice. “While supporters of ‘no-excuses’ charter schools say these ...
- A new analysis by the Center for American Progress concludes that private school vouchers are more harmful to student achievement than previously thought and that students attending private voucher schools miss out on approximately one-third of a year of classroom learning. “This analysis builds on a large body of voucher program evaluations in Louisiana, Indiana, ...
- A new policy brief published by the National Education Policy Center (NEPC) examines the emergence of ESA policies and makes recommendations for policy makers who are considering adopting or expanding these programs. The policy brief, The State of Education Savings Account Programs in the United States, found significant concerns with ESA programs and a stunning lack of research ...
- An Assembly voucher expansion bill, this time for “gifted and talented” students, is up for a public hearing Thursday, while the Senate version was introduced late last week and referred to its Education Committee. The Assembly and Senate will be in session this week, and the governor’s State of the State address is Wednesday afternoon. ...
At request of Janesville Education Association, school board votes to support Voucher Transparency BillAt the request of the Janesville Education Association, the Janesville School Board this week voted, 9-0, to support the Wisconsin Taxpayer Voucher Transparency Bill. The bill would require school districts to inform local taxpayers of how much the private school voucher program is costing them. The resolution notes that, statewide, property taxes increased by over $25 ...
After clicking “Subscribe,” an email will be sent to your email address asking you to confirm your subscription. If you have any trouble signing up on this page, please click here.
You will receive an email once a day at 5:00 p.m. but only on days when new content about vouchers is added to the weac.org News Stream.