If you understand the importance of a strong union and want to grow your union’s membership, please consider applying for a summer organizer position by filling out an application below. You must be an active WEAC member to apply. Please review the job posting below for additional details. The application deadline is Saturday, April 30, 2022.
Job Posting: Summer Organizer
WEAC and your local union are committed to recruiting a diverse organizing team that reflects our diverse membership. We strongly encourage all interested members to apply including educators of color, LGBTQI educators, and other minority educators.
Goal and Purpose of the Program
- Strengthen locals through membership growth.
- Create a positive & effective back-to-school and new hire membership & engagement campaign.
- Identify potential leaders & engage new leaders.
- Strengthen worksite leadership structures.
- Identify local workplace issues & engage in collective action campaigns.
- Must be a member in good standing to apply.
- First-time organizers will attend NEA’s virtual member organizing trainings (dates TBA). Generally, these sessions are scheduled twice monthly starting in May. The trainings will be recorded for organizers who are unable to attend the live session.
- Attend weekly check-ins, and submit weekly reports of progress.
- Returning organizers commit to participate in virtual training Wednesday, July 20, 2022 from 10-12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m., weekly check-ins, mentor and support first time organizers, and submit weekly reports of progress.
- First time and returning organizers commit to participation in a virtual statewide program kick-off Thursday, July 21 from 10-12 p.m.
- Outreach to potential members in your local via texting, email, phone call, and/or in-person meetings with multiple follow-up attempts.
- Engage in one-on-one conversations with potential members with the aim of capturing an understanding their workplace issues and concerns and asking them to join their union.
- Engage in one-on-one conversations with members with the aim of better understanding the needs and concerns of union members and identifying leaders.
- Collect and report potential member and member contact information.
Details and Compensation
- Organizers will work 20 hours per week for a 6 six-week period at a rate of $30/hour with the program beginning on Monday, July 25 and ending on Friday, September 2.
- Outside of weekly team meetings organizers can set their own schedules.
- Organizers will be compensated for NEA and WEAC training hours.
- Organizers will be paid bi-weekly via WEAC payroll.
- Multiple positions are available.
- All applications are subject to a screening process.