January 23, 2024
Job Title: UniServ Director
Location: Northeast to Central Wisconsin
Classification: Professional Staff, Category III
The Wisconsin Education Association Council (WEAC) is seeking applicants for the position of full-time UniServ Director. Minorities and females are encouraged to apply.
The Central to Northeast Wisconsin service area represents more than 6,000 public school employees in Central/Northeast Wisconsin. The area is made up of 100 units (teacher and ESP). The UniServ Director will work hand-in-hand with the Organizing Directors, other UniServ Directors and members to advocate for students, the education profession and communities.
Assist member locals in matters of:
- Coordinate organizing campaigns for all assigned UniServ Locals.
- Membership campaigns.
- Develop action plans for successful recertification elections and campaigns.
- Organize and coordinate sustainable relationships with school districts and the community.
- Analysis of school board members and develop election plans for support or defeat of local school board members.
- Program development and internal membership promotion to increase member involvement.
- Organize non-members and develop viable local affiliates.
- Develop strong affiliates.
- Advocate for appropriate funding of public schools.
- Negotiations and professional rights and responsibilities, including grievances
- Develop Professional rights and responsibilities committees in member locals.
- Provide counsel, advice, and representation to individuals in member locals.
- Represent individuals in job-related termination or nonrenewal conferences and unemployment compensation hearings.
- Assist members on plans of improvement.
- Leadership Development
- Develop new leaders at the local and UniServ council level.
- Develop training and meeting opportunities for local leadership.
- Organizer Council training.
- BA or equivalent work experience. Higher level degree or coursework preferred.
- Experience in organizing members and in successful membership campaigns.
- Experience in issue and/or grievance advocacy
- Knowledge of computers, skills in using spreadsheets, word processing, and other software programs
- Current driver’s license, insured vehicle in good driving condition and ability to travel throughout Wisconsin to engage with assigned locals, members and potential members.
- Willingness to commit the time and energy necessary to meet the extensive demands of the job.
- Willingness to travel, work nights and weekends as assigned.
- Ability to promote and adhere to the policies and procedures adopted by the NEA and WEAC Board of Directors and Representative Assembly
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of individual member(s) concerns in a professional and confidential manner.
- Perform all duties in a professional and competent manner.
- Experience as an association leader in education (local, UniServ, state, or national) or other public or private sector unions.
- Association staff experience.
- Knowledge of professional development concepts and experience in training adults.
- Experience in political action.
- Working knowledge of Wisconsin public sector labor laws as well as labor relations law related to the membership recruitment, representational petition campaigns and elections.
- Higher level degree or coursework.
- Knowledge of school law, school finance, and educational issues.
- Experience in public relations and community organizing.
Salary and Fringe Benefits: Competitive salary as negotiated between WEAC and the United Staff Union (USU) Professional Staff. Fringes include, but are not limited to, health, dental, life, vision and long-term disability insurance; liberal retirement package; vacation/sick/personal leave; childrearing leave; auto allowance; training funds. Salary range of $91,000-124,000, based on experience.
Deadline for Applications: A person interested in applying for this position should submit a letter of application detailing your experience in the areas of responsibility outlined above, resume, and the names of three references (references will not be contacted until after a first interview). This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time.
Beginning Date: As soon as possible.
Submit Applications To:
ATTN: Jill Hein
PO Box 8003
Madison, WI 53708-8003
(Reference: WEAC Northeast to Central WI UniServ Director)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER